Yet another amazing trek in the Western Ghats is the trek to Kodachadri. It is located in the Mookambika National Park in the Shimoga district of Karnataka state. It is at a height of about 4406 feet (1343 m). The word Kodachadri means ‘Jasmine of the Hills.’ It is the 13th highest peak in Karnataka and is famous for the Hidlumane falls along the trail.
About the Trail-
The trail is through the tropical rain forests which later opens upto grasslands. If you are traveling by bus or private vehicle from Bangalore, the place to reach is the Nittur village near Nagar. Shola forests and thick rain forests encapsulate this trail.
Accommodation and Pre-requisites-
- Accommodation can be at one of the home-stays a few minutes away from the trek start point.
- The trek starts from the Jeep stand.
- There is no permission to be sought for this trek. However, it is better to have a guide to tag along with you.
On the Trek-
The first 2 kms of the trek is through the tar road and then the trail runs along a narrow path along the mountain and leads to a paddy field. Beside the farm, there is a small house where Areca nuts are processed post harvesting. There is also a small shack where the delicious butter milk is served and it is the drink to have.
The trail runs behind the farm and through the forest. The trail is laden with heavy boulders and it is slightly exhausting as you pass through these rocks. After a few turns we reach the beautiful and gorgeous Hidlumane Falls. The water shimmering down the rocks is a sight to see. Some amount of time can be spent at this spot.
As we move along the Falls, the trail now runs through forests again and later we tread along a steep ascent to the grasslands. With the sun beating down, the trek can be exhausting. As we take a few turns along the grasslands, we reach the muddy jeep road. As we go along the road, the peak is visible and walking along the ridge of the grasslands we can get to the mountain peak. The final mile is a bit exhausting owing to the heat as there isn’t much shelter. Watching the sunset from the peak is amazing and is worth it.
Physical fitness is a pre-requisite for this trek. The trail runs through mountains paths, grasslands, steep ridges, slippery boulders and it is a must to be fit. Running, Jogging, Yoga, Cycling helps one to be fit and be ready for any trek.
- Elevation: 4406 feet (1343 m)
- Best seasons to Trek: Oct – Feb; Avoid going in the Monsoons as the path can be slushy and slippery over the rocks
- Duration: Day hike; 6 hours
- Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Trek Distance: 14 kms (one way)
- Accommodation: Home-stays in Nittur
- Location: Nittur, Nagar, Shimoga, Karnataka, India
- Nearest Train station: Kundapura Railway station(148 kms away)
- Nearest Airport: Mangalore Airport (100 kms away)
- By Road:
- Bangalore->Nagar-> Nagodi/Nittur Village(397 kms)
- Mangalore->Kodachadri (165 kms)
Things to pack /carry:
- Sturdy Backpack preferable with wider shoulder straps as it should sit comfortably on your shoulder
- Hiking Shoes and socks(leech socks if trekking during the monsoons)
- Water bottle / Water pack
- Trekking pole
- Comfortable trekking pants and tees
- Light rain jacket /poncho depending on the season
- Light sweater depending on the weather
- Small first aid box
- Regular medication if any
- Head torch
- Sleeping bag
- A small notepad and pen
- Essentials: Wallet, ID card
- Mobile phone, chargers, powerbank
- Cameras and Batteries
The trek to Kodachadri is a scenic one. The Mookambika temple can be visited as well.
One can come down the same way or can come by Jeep in a parallel route. The Jeep ride is way too bumpy and thrilling.
Well Trekking in Kodachadri takes one through vivid scenic landscapes and routes. To watch the Sunset from the mountain peak is utterly beautiful!
Pingback: Trekking in Meesapulimalai and exploring Kollukumalai, Western Ghats - Shoe Pen Lens
Pingback: Trekking in Mullayanagiri, the highest peak in Karnataka - Shoe Pen Lens