Deoriatal or Devariyatal is a beautiful lake at an altitude of about 8000 ft near Sari Village in Uttarakhand. It is claimed to be the lake where the Gods used to bathe. And the highlight of the lake is the reflection of the majestic peaks which falls on the water and it is a splendid sight to see.
About the Trail:
The trail runs through a forest and it is an easy climb. The end if the trek opens upto a vast greenland with dense trees around. Many mountains like Chaukamba, Kedar range, Bandar Poonch, Neelkanth can be seen from out here. The beauty of the trek is the reflection of these mountains which falls onto the lake during sunrise and it is a sight to behold.
- Elevation: 7999 ft (2438 m)
- Best seasons to Trek: Mar-May, Sept-Nov
- Guide and Permits: Required in Winters
- Duration: 1day
- Trek Difficulty Level: Easy to Moderate
- Trek Distance: 2 kms
- Accommodation: Can stay at Sari / Chopta after finishing the trek or can Camp in tents at Deoriatal
- Location: The trek starts from Sari Village or Mastura
- Nearest Train station: Rishikesh Railway Station
- Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
- By Road:
- Rishikesh – 200 kms away from Chopta
- Haridwar – 235 kms away from Chopta
The trek starts from Sari Village and the trail gradually ascends and is paved with lush green trees and bushes. One can reach the peak in about an hour or so. One can spend some time nearby the lake and also be in awe of the majestic mountains; Neelkanth, Kedar Range, Bandar Poonch, Chaukambha and Kalanag peaks.
Things to pack /carry:
- Sturdy Backpack(50L-60L) preferable with wider shoulder straps as it should sit comfortably on your shoulder
- Hiking Shoes( to suit the Mountain terrain) and socks
- Water bottle / Water pack -2 bottles of 1l each
- Sun Cap and Woollen / Fleece Cap
- Sunglasses – Black or Brown
- Trekking pole
- Comfortable trekking pants and tees
- Wind and Rain jacket /poncho depending on the season
- Sweater / Fleece Pullover depending on the weather
- Small first aid box
- Regular medication if any
- Fleece Gloves and Rain Gloves
- Sunscreen Lotion – SPF to suit the Higher altitudes
- Toiletries- Basic and much needed ones
- Dry fruits or Energy Bars
- Head torch
- Sleeping bag (not required)
- A small notepad and pen
- Essentials: Wallet, ID card
- Mobile phone, chargers, Powerbank
- Cameras and Batteries
Highlights of the Trek:
- Reflection of the Majestic Mountains: A treat to watch the reflection of the snow clad mountains in the lake.
- The Lake itself adds to the beauty of the place: It is quite a serene place where one can view the mountains and their reflection in the water.
Pre-requisites for the Trek:
- Please read about the Trek and the weather conditions prior to planning.
- Having a good exercise routine is a must to embark on Himalayan treks – Ensure that you do the required preparation for the trek, ideally 1 year prior to the trek.
- Research about the trek- Plan on how you wish to trek; Through a Trekking Agency or by yourself.
- If you are trekking by yourself with a group of friends, ensure to take a Guide along at the starting point of the Trek and plan your Trek accordingly. This option should be considered only if you have some experience in Trekking and have taken the necessary precautions and adhere to the protocol of Trekking in Himalayas.
- If you are unable to complete a Trek, that is totally fine. Mountains will always be there but not us. So, make sure you do not compete with others or yourself in the madness to reach the destination. Take it Slow always!
- Plan your finances accordingly for the Trek and have a Plan B if you stop the Trek midway or some unforeseen circumstances hold you back.
- Mountains always have the last say, remember this always!
Considering the COVID-19 Pandemic, ensure that you adhere to the protocols of the situation and the Place of the Trek.
Hope you have a wonderful adventure out in the Himalayas!
PS: You can read about my personal experience at Deoriatal out here – Spiritual Sojourn – Kedarnath